History of Archery in Greenwood

Judith Sears, Margaret Dempster and Helen Stone taking aim. The bows were made from Orangewood, imported from America. ca. 1947

There was an Archery club in Greenwood before this one, called the Greenwood Archery Club and was situated behind Ben Ceres poultry farm at Nine Mile peg. This photograph shows Judith Sears, Margaret Dempster and Helen Stone taking aim.

The Poultry farm was established in Wanneroo by George and Joyce Sears in 1935. George Sears migrated to Albany, Australia in 1922. In the early years George worked clearing land and working on farms near Corrigin. From 1928 to 1934 he worked for Australian Lands Development Limited and finally started a small engineering works behind a drill hall in William Street. He met and married Joyce Mackenzie in 1935. They bought 1000 chickens and started the poultry farm. There were 20 sheds with 100 chickens in each.

George and Joyce had three children, Judith (Judy), David and Ted. George cleared eight acres of land at the back of the property and started the Greenwood Archery Club. There were twenty members and the Club provided entertainment for teenagers in the area. The Club held competitions with the University Archery Club, arranged meets, picnics and chook raffles. George donated a chicken for the prize. The club was at its peak from 1948 until 1952.

Special thanks to the staff of the City of Joondalup Local History Library in researching and locating the photos and Judith’s contact details.

Thanks to Judith Sears for permission to use the photos.


Website Design By Caroline Centa | Powered By WordPress (Theme: Chiro Pro)
Archers of Greenwood © 2010-2018
Last Updated: